13 Aug WordPress 3.6: Oscar
WordPress is brand new as of about a week ago, with version 3.6. It includes a ton of new upgrades from both the coding and design aspects, as well as enhanced security and increased speed. If you’re not running 3.6 I highly recommend upgrading right now.
The newest thing you’ll notice is a post-format feature, on some themes. If the theme developer has added code into their theme, your posts can take advantage of these post-formats, right within each post. This is become a little more tumblr-esque, but a great formatting option moving forward.
There is also a new theme, twenty thirteen, to take advantage of the new post types mentioned above. It’s a little more “designy” and looks more like a Tumblr theme, than previous default themes.
Some other notable changes with 3.6 (from wordpress.org):
- The new Twenty Thirteen theme inspired by modern art puts focus on your content with a colorful, single-column design made for media-rich blogging.
- Revamped Revisions save every change and the new interface allows you to scroll easily through changes to see line-by-line who changed what and when.
- Post Locking and Augmented Autosave will especially be a boon to sites where more than a single author is working on a post. Each author now has their own autosave stream, which stores things locally as well as on the server (so much harder to lose something) and there’s an interface for taking over editing of a post, as demonstrated beautifully by our bearded buddies in the video above.
- Built-in HTML5 media player for native audio and video embeds with no reliance on external services.
- The Menu Editor is now much easier to understand and use.